Re: Hosta business

halinar@open.org wrote:

> The way I see it, there are mainly places for two types of business in
> the nursery industry - either a small scale, mostly one person
> operation with limited capitalization or a large operation doing
> millions of dollars of business, many employes and high
> capitalization.

Hi Joe
	This is the way I see it too. If I wanted to sell many more hostas than
I do I would need more land to grow them, more people to help care for
them and especially to ship them. By the time I got done I would
probably end up with less than I do now. I could raise the price and
sell less, lower the price and sell more or just keep on doing what I am
doing and be satisfied with that.
	I figured this all out one time. If you wanted to make a wage of around
$40k a year and you made $4 a plant you would have to ship 10,000
plants. If you made $8 a plant you would have to ship 5000 plants. That
is probably higher than anyone averages. Either way and for about any
other scenario you came up with it is alot of work to make a living just
selling hostas.
	Digging, cleaning , and shipping this many hostas is enough to kill
you.
--
Bye
                Hostasonline http://hostasonline.com/