Re: starting seeds finally

At 03:53 PM 02/15/2001 -0600, Cindy Johnson wrote:
Hi all you hosta folks,
I have some hosta seeds that have been in the fridge for a long time....ever since I bought them last year from Bill Nash for that hosta fund raiser thing....what was that called again?
>>> -- Cindy ..that was called, raising money for the *INTERNET HOSTA PHOTO LIBRARY EXPANSIONS* --  under the jurisprudence of Bob Axmear.
My questions are:
If I start them now, will they be big enough to plant outside come June? (like in a nursery area).
>>> -- Sown now, or even up to the Ides of March (March 15?) hosta seedlings grow large enough to transplant outside in June; and these, do survive the next winter, without any mulching protections of any kind.
Have I drastically lowered the rate of germination by keeping them in the fridge so long?  I think they are in an air-tight pkg.  Would bottom heat help raise the germination rate?
>> I believe, you would have had far better germination, if you had stored the seeds in the *FREEZER COMPARTMENT* of your refrigerator, but notwithstanding, it will be interesting to see what kind of germination you do get from a hosta seed storage at say 45 degrees Fahrenheit, for over a year and good luck with same? << from Bill Nash, who sent you the seeds >>
Cindy Johnson
White Bear Lake, MN
zone 4a