Understanding

Hi Andrew,
        I was wondering where you'd gotten to. I think you are to be applauded for your willingness to do all the difficult homework. It probably is possible to learn enough to keep up with the "big guys" if they discuss things in technical terms, but it isn't easy, because they learned the basic concepts long ago and have progressed beyond textbook descriptions in their understanding of them. Anyone who has to start from scratch and progress to grad-school level hopefully should be allowed more than a few days to do it. I don't mind admitting that it took me some time to match textbook descriptions of the common chimera types to what I was seeing in Hosta leaves. That was why I provided the diagram. I'm not even completely sure it's correct. Please remember that this is not a course taught by a teacher well versed in the already understood world of Hosta science. There is no text book on Hosta science. We are all still trying to figure these plants out. Much of the real research done on other plants applies to hosta as well, but some does not. Dr. Zonneveld's theories are bold and daring and challemge the conventional wisdom to a high degree. The focus of this discussion seems to be on these theories and the conventional wisdom that they defy. We have yet to hear from Dr. Zonneveld. I for one sincerely hope he will join us and offer his reasons why his theories are correct. If you are reading this, Dr. Zonneveld, please participate for we all would like to hear your reasoning. I believe Jim Hawes has begun this discussion to make the difference between these theories and the conventional wisdom clear to the general hosta enthusiast and along the way give us a firm foundation on which to build our own knowledge. A foundation must be laid before we can begin to build and I requested that when it seemed necessary a little more explanation would help some of us at least to get a good grasp on the basics before we move into the higher levels. I understand that you are already there, please be patient while the rest of us catch up. :<)
       Would you go to med school just to better understand your physician when he/she gives you a diagnosis? Or do you, like me, ask that he explain some of the more difficult parts? Even graduating med school would leave you only an inexperienced student. Your physician would still be able to talk over your head.  The body of knowledge extant in the world today is so vast that most of us can only manage a small portion of it in our lifetimes. It's just a matter of degree.
      Regarding sieboldiana 'Elegans', current thinking is that it refers to a number of blue seedlings of more or less pure sieboldiana heritage, of impossible-to-trace relationships. Some nurseries in the past raised sieboldiana seed and sold the results as 'Elegans'. A particular plant found with this label could be anything. The name originated early in the last century as a name for a plant that did not fit the current description at all. H. ventricosa is still raised from seed and sold under the species name.
                                                                                                                   ........Bill Meyer