Re: Journal Criticism

  • Subject: Re: Journal Criticism
  • From: DonWachtel@webtv.net (Don)
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 20:47:58 -0500 (EST)

I think that Hosta people have become spoiled by the dedication and
professionalism of the volunteers who put out the Journal.  All in all,
year in and year out I doubt that there are many publications of its
kind that exceed the quality of the AHS Journal.  I, myself, know of
none.

One suggestion ..... I have most all of the past Journals and there are
very many interesting articles and pictures in the back issues that many
have not seen.  I bet an "out of the past" reprint of one or two of the
best of these in each Journal would be of interest to many subscribers.
If they were 8 to 10 years old the content would no doubt have been
forgotten by most (me) who had read them.  I don't think those
subscribers would object to  reprints that would benefit the newer
members.

For example, the best explanation and the best pictures that I have ever
seen of the undulatas as they sport to the various types was by Alex
Summers in The AHS Bulletin #3 in 1971.  In black and white but what the
heck.  In Bulletin #6 in 1974 Alex introduced us to his new bride with a
picture as they pronounced their vows. Gene died recently.

How many know the names of the  first hostas that were registered back
in 1968?  The AHS Bulletin #1 (now the Journal) lists the names.  There
were 8 and it was appropriate that the one listed first 'August Moon'
(it was the only one that started with 'A') was from Alex, the first
president and one of the founders of the AHS.

Here is a quote by Alex Summers in that first issue of March, 1969
......  "We are registering the names of hosta cultivars to avoid the
confusion which would arise through the use of duplicate names for
different hostas.  At the moment there are probably less than a hundred
that have been named.  In the future there will likely be several
hundred and even thousands."

Don