Re: a garden an asset?

  • Subject: Re: a garden an asset?
  • From: Betsy Mahtani <bmathani@flash.net>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 11:08:55 -0600

On the other hand. . . Our premier daylily gardener and hybridizer
passed away in late October, and had indicated his irises were to go to
the iris club, and the daylilies (hundreds of cultivars and hundreds of
seedlings under evalutation)to the daylily club.  His garden was an
immaculate jewel, with specimen trees, shrubs, clematis, and many other
wonderful plantings.

The person who bought the home right away is a single woman with two
dogs that now inhabit the back yard.  She didn't want ANY of the plant
materials, and our daylily club "got" to dig up all the plant materials
we could, leaving only the perimeter beds (he had only immaculate paths
of grass between his flower beds, front and back), removing all the
timbers and linings (built to last forever), and much of his most
excellent soil so his son could sod the yard for her!  Huge job, but
much better than letting the dogs and neglect ruin it all.  Several of
our club members helped, but two of us did the main portion--taking us
15 days, including cleaning out his well-stocked garage!

The trick about leaving a nice yard is to never go back.  Those I've
left have been heart-rending later.

Betsy