First Look Auction

  • Subject: First Look Auction
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 12:10:59 -0500

Hi Everybody,
         The First Look team will be holding another auction this year, because we have a few things that were donated before and one that went unclaimed. Last year's First Look Auction was a resounding success, and without it there would have been no First Look. We used the money to bring all of you the meeting, and the web page for those that couldn't make it to the meeting itself. We hope you could share some of the fun and fascination of being there through our collection of photos and essays, and we hope that you can be with us this year for what promises to be a bigger and better meeting.
         Earlier I thought that we'd just auction off a few things here and there, not expecting it to amount to much, but a new problem surfaced. Because of the very low amount taken in at the Raleigh, NC Convention this year, the Hosta Journal finds itself in dire straits just as it was going from two to three issues a year. Many of you were disappointed (and I was too) with the size of the last Journal, which was the thinnest in more than ten years. It wasn't for lack of content. The shortage of funds caused sixteen pages to be removed which were already finished and ready to be printed. The National Auction has always been one of the prime sources of income for The Hosta Journal, and its falling on hard times has caused an immediate impact in the size of the hosta world's premier publication. I have to say here that there are few things better than the Journal to find in my mailbox, so we've come up with something that may help a little.
         We are going to have a big auction like last year's with one important difference--------This year half of all money paid in by winning bidders will be donated to the American Hosta Society to be used to help finance the Journal. If you have an extra division or two of something nice, please consider donating this year. You don't have to be wealthy to be a supporter of First Look and The Hosta Journal, hostas are a renewable resource. Please send word of your donation to both me at  njhosta@hotmail.com and to Carol at CBCTPLANT@aol.com in case one of us has trouble with our mail, because we'd hate for anyone to think their donation was ignored. This year's First Look Auction will be run the same way that last year's was. Watch for further details here on the lists and at the First Look website under the "Special" button on the First Look page with the big gold logo.
                                                                                                        ........Bill Meyer