Daylily Vs. Hosta

  • Subject: Daylily Vs. Hosta
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 07:06:09 -0500 (EST)

I read a recent exchange between Bob Ax and Chick W. regarding daylilies. I
had meant to respond to it  but..... It is now snowing, and I have culled a
thousand hosta seedlings so will take this time to  explore a question I
have...and a theory.

Bob and Chick both indicated that a number of daylily introductions were
entering the market at the old hosta prices....$200.00, $300.00...$500.00.
And apparently a number of daylilies were keeping their price too....unlike
the hosta community. Either Chick or Bob suggested that  tc-ing daylilies
was a somewhat clandestine act for some breeders.  I expect that this was
about keeping the price up?But that was not really my question. The daylily
world has a lot more competition in sheer numbers than does the hosta
world. What keeps their prices so high? Haven' they experienced the same
price revolution that we have?

I grow a few daylilies. I have stuck to just collecting the white ones.
First they are rather boring and second there are not a lot of them, so I
won't be tempted to add another addiction to my gardening
efforts.....something that has beautiful colored blooms.  I admit that I
put them in areas where they fill in quickly..and I don't have to worry
about them. I guess I use them  so I don't have to be worried about weeding
....where sun  is unkind to hostas. Considering my quirky motives I am
wondering if the daylily bloom in all of it glory and variety is not more
seductive that the leaves of a hosta...and therefore the price can be kept
up there?  I mean, the daylily couldn't possibly have more boring foliage,
or for that matter the hosta could have less impressive flowers  ( OK, I
know some of you can make a list of impressive flowers on some hostas, but
they don't exactly compare with the flowers on daylilies.

What ever the profile of these two groups of plant lovers are, I do wonder
about  the price distinctions in the two markets. It's clear that hosta
people are better people;  more clearly discerning ,  perceptive,
intellectual, compassionate, and all round good guys. And that daylily
people are seduced by  the relentless prostitution of the daylily bloom and
the "Big Mac" world of daylilies.......and suffer a list of negative
character traits which are far too long to list. But there must be more to
it than this. While I am in favor of the lower hosta prices we now pay, I
miss the lack of prestige that the old high prices used to bestow on the
hosta world. Are we soon going to have signs all over the country at
different garden centers saying:  OVER 3 BILLION SOLD  @ ONLY $1.00!

"And yes I said yes I will Yes." J.J's last words.
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
05156