RE: Daylily Vs. Hosta

Good Morning All-

I am not sure what is driving the prices in
the daylily market.  I can't imagine spending
more than 10 or 20 on any daylily.  I am not a
big fan of the strappy foliage.  Daylilies flowers
are short lived, some may rebloom but the vast
majority of the time you'll just have a green
floppy plant in the yard.  Now if somebody comes
up with a blue margined green centered leaf sport
we'll talk upping the price.  I don't see that as
a serious option for sometime to come.

As far as the high end market in the hosta world
goes I do see an impact due to TC.  I think that we
will see less of these high end new intro's becomming
available.  I feel that the Originators will be
holding on to them and/or sharing them only in tight
circles comprised of people who will guarentee that
the plants will not be divided or given to anybody
who might TC for whatever reason.

I am personally an OS junkie.  I will almost always
pay a premium for OS of a hosta that I'm interested
in.  For some varites that have been held in high
reguard it has been impossible to find OS divisions
as only a few collectors had them and would not make
them available.  Unfortunately or fortunatley,
dependant on your position, some have found their way
into TC and can almost only be found as TC.

I do believe, as well, that it is TC that is killing
the AHS and other auctions.  Once upon a time it was
an honor to offer a division of a hosta introduciton
for auction at the AHS.  I do not believe this still
holds true.  These plants are being purchased by folks
who are throwing them into TC and marketing them as
"... sold for at $XXX.00 at Auciton, now yours for
$9.99" two years later.  Is it a bad thing or a good
thing?  Depends on your view.  It's going to have
an impact on the AHS and it's ability to produce
income and support the quality we've come to expect
and demand.  But it is going to further the cause
of making the Hosta the number one plant in the
world.  (OK besides those that are illeagl in most
countries but continue to sell anyway)

So, yep there will always be those high end collector
plants.  I think they will be much harder to find. I
am not sure if their price will go up or down or if
they will only be made avail thru trade.  I don't know.
There will always be a race to TC the newest and the
hottest and there is always the resulting sports from
the TC process which makes it more lucrative.  TC is
here to stay and so are the collector plants.