Re: Problem with seedlings

  • Subject: Re: Problem with seedlings
  • From: Alttara Scheer <alttara@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 12:31:01 -0500

hi Larry,

I think that it's a pretty normal occurance for seedlings to lose older, small leaves as new and large ones grow, and the crown expands. In some cases, if looking closely, I have seen that the older leaves have actually been pushed away from the crown by new roots, and in that way have been seperated from the crown, and eventually die.

Yellowing, dry and crispy leaf tips is also, I believe, a problem to do with low humidity.

In any event, although it may not be the most attractive thing in the world, it doesn't seem to have any long-term consequences on the growth or well-being of the seedling.

I have also experienced brown spots, which I took to be a protest against the soil drench I've used to control fungus gnats.

I am, though, just guessing based on my own experience and observations, and I'm sure there are much more experienced growers here who could shed some more light on the subject, for both of us. I just wanted to reassure you, that you are not the only one experiencing this phenomena, and that it doesn't mean terrible and imminent death to your seedlings!

-alttara

Larry McLain wrote:
20020217171749.85668.qmail@web10907.mail.yahoo.com">

Good Morning, Alttara!  The burnt tips are usually on the older leaves, but I have found a few with a new leaf. Larry

  Alttara Scheer <alttara@earthlink.net> wrote:

Hi Larry,

Is it new leaves with the burnt tips, or old?

-A.

Larry McLain wrote:
20020217165705.56871.qmail@web10906.mail.yahoo.com" type="cite"> I am having a problem with a few of my hosta seedlings. I have several different varieties of hosta seedlings planted individually in styrofoam cups.  The tips of a few from each tray are showing signs of leaf burning. It is as if they are not getting enough water. Only the tips are showing this.  Will it hurt to snip off the burnt ends.  I am using fish emulsion on these seedlings, if that would make a difference. Any help would be appreciated! Larry

Do You Yahoo!?

Do You Yahoo!?