Re: Daylily Vs. Hosta

I think most of you have missed the real question here, which is, does Maryland
have the slightest chance of beating Duke today?  And of course, the answer is -
Yes, they do have the slightest chance.

Well, this message was interrupted by a basketball game.  And the answer is -
not only could Maryland beat Duke, they humiliated Duke.  WE'RE NUMBER ONE!
WE'RE NUMBER ONE!  Well, at least a very strong number three.

Bill,

Once again, I find myself disagreeing with much of what you write.  To start
with the last issue in your message, will the high end of the hosta market
survive?  The high end of the hosta market is already dead, and in my opinion it
will never be resurrected.  I guess it depends on how you define a market. If
you mean a few people who sell a few plants to maintain their own habit, that
"market" will probably survive. There will always be a few plants that maintain
a high price for one reason or another, like Dorothy Benedict or My Child
Insook.  I looked through last year's Hosta Finder to see what was selling for
over $100.  The vast majority of high priced hostas were plants that I've never
heard of that were offered by only one source.

There will always be some collectors that are willing to pay a high price to get
a year's head start or to have OS instead of TC plants, but there are very few,
and in my opinion the number is getting smaller each year.  Will there always be
hostas that sell for more than 50 bucks?  Sure, because there are a lot of
people breeding hostas out there, and there are a lot of nice plants being
produced.  Many of these people don't have the means or the inclination to put
their plants in a lab, so they produce them in small numbers and try to sell
them for big bucks.  The reason the market for high priced hostas died is that
everybody knows that if the plant is any good, one of the first five people who
buy it is going to send it to a lab and two years later everyone can buy it for
$15.

The difference I saw when I looked at the daylily site was that here was one
single web site, out of who knows how many daylily sites there are on the web,
listing 800 different daylilies, and the vast majority of them were priced over
$100.  Now, it may surprise some of you to know that in my earlier life I
studied economics between basketball games at good old U of M.  My thesis, by
the way, was entitled "Everything I Know About Economics I Learnt Pumping Beer
at the Varsity Grill".  From what little I remember about the law of supply and
demand, it went something like "If you got a lot of something, and not many
people want much of it, chances are you can't get much for it."  I understand
that these are great daylilies, but it seems to me that there are too many
people selling too many expensive daylilies to what has to be a fairly small
population of people for this to make any sense.  The only explanation I can
think of is that the corollary to the law of supply and demand states simply -
Daylily People are Nuts.

Chick