Re: Rabbits

  • Subject: Re: Rabbits
  • From: Larry McLain <olemacdee@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 08:02:28 -0800 (PST)

Bill, That is why I don't want to get a dog. I think in the long run, they would be more damaging. I can just see them digging in the beds, so they have a cool place to lay. Then me coming home to see all the damage done. Then the kids hating me for getting rid of snuggles! No way! If the liquid fence, and moth balls don't work, maybe a live trap. Then I can take them out in the country. Larry

  Bill Meyer <njhosta@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi Charles,
I've had some success with moth balls/flakes. They're cheap and
easy. They work for a little while and will drive them out temporarily, but
if they're determined enough they seem to get used to the smell. Dried blood
makes them nervous too. I try to get them down when the spears are coming
up, because the rabbits nip them off then. I think that's the only time they
actually eat them. The rest of the time they just mow them down to create a
path through them, so I doubt that chemicals they'd have to ingest would be
much help. Later in the season, I've seen the rabbits actually push the
mothballs out of the beds into the lawn. I've never seen a cat take on aa
adult rabbit, but I guess some would, and dogs usually can't catch them but
might do even more damage trying to.

............Bill Meyer