Re: ramblings

  • Subject: Re: ramblings
  • From: NardaA@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 20:01:34 EST

In a message dated 2/18/02 9:28:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,
olemacdee@yahoo.com writes:

<<  Narda, Speaking of rabbits, what's the best way to keep them away,
without having a dog there? I planted some hostas in the back yard last
summer, after a month with no problems, in one night they ate half of them
down to the crown. >>

Larry, there is no good solution to this problem.  As soon as it starts
getting warm enough for the hostas to start coming up I will start squirting
the crowns with the pepper spray that comes in the red bottle.

You can make your own with a half gallon of warm water, large jar of hot
sauce (Sam's has the cheap price) and six eggs, all mixed in a blender.
Blend until you can get it to go through a sprayer.  I suggest that if you
are going to keep this mixture you should refrigerate.

I try to pick up my dogs droppings and put them in the beds, I may borrow
some doo from my neighbors as I have small dogs.

I am going to try maligonite or whatever that stuff is that is made from
sewer waste that is sold as fertilizer.

I will shoot any rabbits taht I can get a clear aim at, so I guess I should
start Zeroing in the pellet gun.

We are getting a fair amount of hawks in our neighborhood and I could swear
that I saw a fox in the backyard the other morning, very early.  We have owls
too.  The rabbits have become more stealth in the last couple of years.

Persistence and a hard heart is what is needed here!  N.