Re: Daylily Vs. Hosta

halinar@open.org wrote:

> The high prices that new daylilies commanded were the result of
> several factors.  The first is that the daylily society has a fairly
> high elitist element within the society and these people are generally
> financially well off.  They have been willing to pay the higher prices
> because owning these newer introductions first is a prestige factor
> for them. The high prices have also been artificially kept high by the
> hybridizers because they knew collectors were willing to pay the high
> prices.  However, there has also been a steady growth in interest in
> daylilies and over the last 20 years there has been a tremendous
> increase in hybridizing and these hybridizers have been buying the
> newest introductions.  The demand has been increasing, at least for
> the better cutting edge hybrids, and the hybridizers have maintained
> the high prices because they knew they could get the prices.  Also, a
> lot of these newer hybridizers have come to believe that they need the
> newest and latest daylilies.  Of course, the big named hybridizers
> haven't don't anything to dispel this impression.

Now, I don't want to put words in Joe's mouth, but I think essentially
what he is saying is - Daylily People Are Nuts.

>  The higher prices for daylilies has been
> driven by a high level of hybridizing.  I doubt that the hosta world
> has as many people hybridizing as in the daylily world.  Actually,
> there are probably few real hosta hybridizers as compared to people
> who are just looking for sports.  Admittedly, looking for sports is
> important, but I wouldn't classify it as hybridizing as such.

But if I remember my Economics 101, since there is no shortage of daylily
breeders or daylily sellers, and certainly no shortage of high quality
daylilies, you would expect this over-abundance to lead to lower, not
higher prices.  Classical economic theory states that when faced with more
daylilies than anyone could concievably need, if one of these daylilies is
priced at $100, $200, or even more, a logical person simply says, I'll
take one of those $20 daylilies.  Now, I understand that sometimes you
just have to have that expensive one and no other will do and so you plunk
down the money.  That's reasonable.  But this one single web site had
hundreds and hundreds of daylilies priced over $100, and there are tons of
other daylily sites that have tons of other daylilies priced at over
$100.  And that is what leads me to my conclusion about daylily people.

> If, for some reason you still want to get into the daylily market,
> I'll be having a fire sale this fall on many newer daylilies.

Sorry, I was kidding.

Chick