Re: the number of hosta species

  • Subject: Re: the number of hosta species
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 11:42:28 -0500

Hi George,
        I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't have a very clear picture of where the dividing lines are drawn when trying to determine whether a plant is a separate species or not. Of course, it can be approached from the other end by ruling out those that appear to be crosses between two other species, but what set of factors will determine whether something is a separate species to begin with? I realize that this is open to interpretation and that disagreement has always been the norm. Does the presence of one or more unique and reproducible traits become a requirement? Are seedling batches grown to aid in the determination of species, to see what traits express regularly in further generations and if they are present in all or most examples brought from the wild? We can never really know what happened hundreds of years ago, so if very similar populations appear in isolated areas, they could have been spread by people, so I guess location may not be too important a factor.
         In a related question, do you know if there is a native population of nigrescens, and if so, is the upright nature of the plant that is in the trade present in all or most of them. Having seen OP nigrescens seedlings, I've noticed that many do not show this trait, and have wondered whether the wild population also exhibits a wide variety of forms. These seedlings came from the plant most commonly sold under that name, which I believe came from Japan to Alex Summers some time ago. The other form which has been around some, and is sold by Shady Oaks (which is more glaucous and more folded) also produced some odd seedlings.
                                                                                     .............Bill Meyer