The Tiara Story

  • Subject: The Tiara Story
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:39:29 -0500 (EST)

I am continuing to work on my collection of these plants. I am trying to
learn something about genetics through direct observation. My question is
this: are there any new ones to add to my list? I asked the same question
two years ago.

                                   The Fecund Tiara Story

  The mother of the  Tiara series is  H. 'Golden Tiara' which came from Bob
Savory in 1977. It originally sold at $50.00 plus.  The parentage is listed
as  being a H. nakaiana hybrid.
  Then the odyssey began.

H. 'Golden Tiara' begat the sport named H. 'Golden Scepter'. (1983)...grows
more slowly than the parent. H. 'Golden Tiara' begat H. 'Diamond
Tiara'...1985.  H. 'Golden Scepter'  begat H. 'Platinum Tiara'...1985.  H.
'Golden Scepter begat again and produced  H. 'Emerald Tiara'....1988. Not
to be outdone  H. 'Golden Tiara'  begat an all green sport named H.
'Emerald Tiara'. Unsated , H. 'Golden Tiara'  begat  H. 'Royal Tiara' .
...1988. An exhausted H. 'Golden Scepter' produced a weak H. 'Diamond
Tiara' (1988) which  was a runt and no longer grown.  Following the
biblical injunction H. 'Golden Tiara'  went forth  again and begat  H.
'Emerald  Scepter' , which is a cousin to 'H.'Emerald Tiara', but not the
same...marriage is out of question. The sluttish H. 'Golden Tiara'  did it
again and produced  H. 'Grand Tiara' . ...1991.  H. 'Grand Tiara'  pickled
up the baton and has now  given us 'Amber Tiara', 'Crystal Tiara', 'Gilded
Tiara', 'Grand Prize', 'Heavenly Tiara', and 'Topaz Tiara'.
   There is a 'Lime Tiara' out there too, along with a 'Streaked Tiara'.
There are also a number of  privately named  sports of different members of
the clan.
    My master plan is to eventually put all of these incestuous clan
members in one bed and reread the works of  William Faulkner. Any news of
the new would be greatly appreciated. If any of you have nameless sports
and are willing to trade...please let me know....or at least that more
progeny exist.

In 1870 Ernst Haeckel, a German biologist, coined the word " okologie",
which became oECOlogy before the "o" was dropped. Its literal meaning is
the "study of houses," but in this case it may be more fitting to say, "the
study of our house,' meaning the planet earth.
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
05156