Fw: Gunther Starks illness

  • Subject: Fw: Gunther Starks illness
  • From: "Dan & Lu Nelson" hostanut@Bellsouth.net
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 09:53:23 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Lisa &Andy Putnam
To: cbctplant@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2003 9:04 AM
Subject: Gunther Starks illness

Brenda said I can pass this one on..... Stark Gardens: Yes you may forward the
email

Dear Family and Friends,

As most of you know, I (Brenda Harvey) have been Gunther's primary caregiver
since his diagnosis of Alzheimers two years ago this April.  Dean and I have
tried to see that he stay at home and be cared for and I think Dean has
accomplished this.

Gunther had the flu on and off for a couple of weeks, as well as I.  He was
doing fair as of Jan 31, 2003.  But that afternoon he took a huge turn and we
put him to bed and on Feb. 1, late evening he was breathing very, very hard
and we called the doctor and the doctor said to the hospital.  Gunther was
admitted to Emergency at 6:30pm 2/1/03 and at 1:30am he was sent to ICU for
two days and Telemetry for 5 days.  His prognosis is Pneumonia with continued
Aspirations.  They have told us he will continue to have aspirations and
pneumonia.  His awareness is very limited.  He does respond to family/friends
most of the time, but his answers are not valid.

Due to this prognosis, we have placed Gunther at The Mercy Hospice in
Johnston, Iowa.  It is a very home-like setting and the staff and volunteers
pay close attention to his comfort.  He had a whirlpool bath yesterday and I
think he truly enjoyed that.

We ask for continued prayers for his comfort and pray he will not suffer in
any way.

Thank you to all of you for your help and friendship with The Starks all these
years.
This is a hard time for all of us, and please forgive us if we have missed
telling anyone.  We also ask that you pass this on to anyone you know who
knows Gunther.

May your 2003 be a good year.

Please note that our address has changed a little.  All of rural Warren County
had to have new 4 digit addresses.

Much love from,

Gunther, Dean, Judy and Brenda
Stark Gardens
6311 G24 Hwy
Norwalk, IA  50211-9030

visit our web site that is under constuction!

www.geocities.com/putnamgardens