Re: Moving

  • Subject: Re: Moving
  • From: earthspirit bdn7458@mailbag.com
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 18:28:46 -0600

I moved several thousand plants 4 years ago (not all hostas), and I started with digging the ones that I wanted to be sure the correct names stayed in place. I potted those and put them on the back porch and watered them for 2 -3 months. I cut the hostas in 4 to 6 pieces, because I had no pots big enough to hold the whole plant, nor could I lift them out of the ground intact. I potted all my 'precious' things first so that there would be no question as to 'who' would get them. I had hundreds of pots sitting in the back yard by the time I finished. I rented a truck to move my stuff to a rental garage (I was building a new home, so the furniture had to be stored), and then some friends helped me load the truck up three times to take the plants to my new place (which had NO SHADE) The plants stayed in the sun for three months with no available water, but I did cover the shade lovers with some nylon screening. I lined plants out in the fall, with the exception of the shade plants. We took a bobcat through the shade area (one tiny corner of the property) to clear out the nettle, the poison ivy, the burdock, and then I planted my shade garden. The first two years were very difficult because the weeds tried to take the area back over, but the last two years have been better. I put bulbs of every sort at the bottom of the big pots, and most of those came through just fine. The shade plants all looked terrible by the time they went into the ground, but all survived. I did fill in the holes at the old place by using dirt from a berm. Jean Bawden, Madison, Wi