Re: High Kicker

Thanks for the information, W. George and Bill.

Bill, do you have any Chick memorabilia that smells like burnt rubber?   ; )
Wow, I've never noticed flowers from 'Halcyon', rupifraga, or longipes
seedlings having any fragrance -- I'll have to use my nose a little more next
year.  Very interesting.  I assume your yard doesn't have a privacy fence of
lilacs to hide the rubber tire factory next door...   ; )

--John

<<I have noticed that several other hostas without plantagenia in their
backgrounds have faint flower fragrances that are clearly different. Not all
of these are pleasant smells, but they are not in any way similar to
plantagenia. One of the pleasant ones is 'Halcyon' which smells somewhat
like lilac. The smell is faint, and may be more noticeable on cool mornings.
At times I can't smell it, but other times I've smelled it from 2-3 feet
away. Another one with fragrance is one of the plants that was going around
as rupifraga. I had brought it indoors in cool fall weather to use it for
hybridizing and found it had a fairly strong burnt-rubber sort of smell that
wasn't pleasant at all. I think I noticed a couple other faintly unpleasant
smells among longipes seedlings. None of these plants had anything more than
faint smells that only some people could smell at all even with the flowers
held up to their noses. >>