Re: My Soap Box - Danger Will Robinson

  • Subject: Re: My Soap Box - Danger Will Robinson
  • From: "Bill Meyer" njhosta@hotmail.com
  • Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 11:18:35 -0500

Hi Lu,
       I think when Jim Schwarz stopped paying for www.hostalibrary.com it
went back up for grabs. It was then bought by someone in Europe, according
to Bob. He was concerned something like this would happen, but didn't find
out until it was too late. My guess is that whoever is doing that won't make
any money and will give it up soon.
       If you think that's bad, have a look at the AHS site www.hosta.org
and this one www.hostas.com What do you think - lack of creativity, or
someone trying to pretend they are the AHS to improve their sales? The
graphics are free-use stuff included with Microsoft Frontpage so there's no
theft involved, but is it really just a co-incidence?
       As to what kind of person does this stuff -- well I think
"opportunist" pretty much covers it. I think the younger generation likes
the word "user". They're the people who only care about what they can get
for themselves out of people and things around them. I doubt they'd even
know why you're mad.
                                                                ......Bill
Meyer

> OK, so I'm doing my usual database updating and come across a hosta whose
> description is a little unclear. And again, as usual, I go to the greatest
> place on the internet, the Hosta Library to look at the picture, only my
> mistake, I type in .com instead of .org.
>
> I could not believe my eyes. Some joker has set up a 'referral' website
called
> Hosta Library. It lists links to other websites on various topics. They
> obviously know that OUR Hosta Library gets lots of hits, and are counting
on
> people making the same mistake that I did. They are selling their website
> companies in hopes that we will follow the links to their clients sites.
> Places like Pier One have subscribed.
>
> I gotta tell you, it's made me angry. Makes me wonder if the real target
is
> hosta nurseries, and all this is just a cover. What kind of person does
this?
> Other than the obvious answer which is an opportunist. I just hope
everybody
> realizes that by using the links at this site, whomever owns it get paid a
> commission. Makes me ill. What does this have to do with Hostas? Not a
DAMN