Re: My Soap Box - Danger Will Robinson

  • Subject: Re: My Soap Box - Danger Will Robinson
  • From: "Bill Meyer" njhosta@hotmail.com
  • Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 14:34:05 -0500

Hi Chick,
         About time we got back to the interesting netherworld of your
reasoning! So, let me see if I have this straight --- If the nursery with
the hostas.com site set themselves up as ahs.com or americanhostasociety.com
that would be "pretty sleazy", but if they deliberately make their site look
like the AHS site (I think you must have noticed at least some similarity in
the decor) while using a domain name so similar that people might accidently
type it in (as Lu did with hostalibrary.com) there is "absolutely nothing
wrong" with that! That's a stretch even for your version of "business
ethics" isn't it? I suppose it could be a co-incidence that they just
happened to choose an identical look for their site. It's probably a
co-incidence that whoever that is at hostalibrary.com chose that name to put
up a links page too. Then, come to think of it, maybe that guy with the
phony seed wasn't doing anything wrong either because he had co-incidentally
named some of his own plants with those names. After all, he never said
whose 'Mustang Sally' the seed was from. Maybe he wasn't really doing
anything wrong at all, just conducting a little legitimate business. It
might be another co-incidence that Martha decided to sell off that stock
when she did too. Certainly she doesn't see how she did anything wrong. On
the other hand, why was she lying about it if she didn't think she did
anything wrong? Hmmmmm this business of pretending nothing is wrong with
this kind of behavior sure gets to be a slippery slope, doesn't it?
        As I'm sure you know, .com was the first and still is the most
widely recognized site name. You don't have to go too far back to when it
was only .net and .com. Many non-commercial sites use that extension by
preference beause it is always the first thing people think of. Hosta.com
was the first name that was looked at for the AHS site, but it was already
taken. To many people .com means the internet, not just internet commerce.
        As for fragrance, I'm talking about it as reality as in whether it
exists or not. Believe it or not, some things exist that cannot be used to
make money, so to you they would not be "practical".
                                               ........Bill Meyer

www.hostalibrary.com   it
>   went back up for grabs. It was then bought by someone in Europe,
according
>   to Bob. He was concerned something like this would happen, but didn't
find
>   out until it was too late. My guess is that whoever is doing that won't
make
>   any money and will give it up soon.
>          If you think that's bad, have a look at the AHS site
www.hosta.org
>   and this one   www.hostas.com   What do you think - lack of creativity,
or
>   someone trying to pretend they are the AHS to improve their sales? The
>   graphics are free-use stuff included with Microsoft Frontpage so there's
no
>   theft involved, but is it really just a co-incidence?
>          As to what kind of person does
>   this stuff -- well I think
>   "opportunist" pretty much covers it. I think the younger generation
likes
>   the word "user". They're the people who only care about what they can
get
>   for themselves out of people and things around them. I doubt they'd even
>   know why you're mad.

......Bill
>   Meyer
>
>     OK, so I'm doing my usual database updating and come across a hosta
whose
>     description is a little unclear. And again, as usual, I go to the
greatest
>     place on the internet, the Hosta Library to look at the picture, only
my
>     mistake, I type in .com instead of .org.
>
>     I could not believe my eyes. Some joker has set up a 'referral'
website

>   called
>
>     Hosta Library. It lists links to other websites on various topics.
They
>     obviously know that OUR Hosta Library gets lots of hits, and are
counting

>   on
>
>     people making the same mistake that I did. They are selling their
website

>     companies in hopes that we will follow the links to their clients
sites.
>     Places like Pier One have subscribed.
>
>     I gotta tell you, it's made me angry. Makes me wonder if the real
target

>   is
>
>     hosta nurseries, and all this is just a cover. What kind of person
does

>   this?
>
>     Other than the obvious answer which is an opportunist. I just hope
>
>   everybody
>
>     realizes that by using the links at this site, whomever owns it get
paid a
>     commission. Makes me ill. What does this have to do with Hostas? Not a
>
>   DAMN
>
>     thing. This is in my book, as bad as those dinner time solicitation
phone
>     calls.
>
>     I know at one time there was a nursery that bought the name, and had
it

>   linked
>
>     back to the REAL Hosta library. Makes me wonder what happened there?
We