Re: A Hosta Plea

NardaA@aol.com wrote:

> Kris, you are a woman of my heart!
>
> Narda

Hey, it's all about the hostas, isn't it? How can we make informed
choices in the voting booth if we don't know where they candidates stand
on hostas. Sure, some of them have big hair or are distinguished
soldiers, but do they garden?

So, I have a real question. This past fall we put our big old house up
for sale and starting looking for a smaller house with a bigger yard.
Then the house sold very quickly (and unexpectedly) and we had to
quickly relocate to a rental townhouse that would accept our two little
dogs. I moved more than 400 of my best hostas (especially my miniature
collection and some of the spectacular big ones) to a friend's property.
I'm not worried about them because it was the perfect time of year to
relocate them and they will have a nice life in her big hosta gardens
until they can return to me. I left the bones of the old garden for the
new owner by dividing the bigger hostas. We will probably be in the
rental condo for a year while I look for a new academic position, likely
somewhere else. The condo is on a lake, our's is the end unit, and we
have a large greensward with beautiful weeping willows on it. And a nice
big patio which faces North. The problem is--I can only have container
gardens. So my question is:  Which hostas are best suited to growing in
big pots on a patio with a northern exposure in zone 3? I welcome any
suggestions.

Kris