  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:46:58 -0500

It's slow out there so I will send this copy of my correspondance with Jack
Bilson along about a possible hosta stamp.. It had been suggested that I
approach him about his efforts to get a daylily stamp.

>Hello Glen,
>It has taken me a bit to do some research re: your question.
>Please note that in the near future our email address may change to:
>Getting a daylily on a stamp has been frustrating.
>Note, there are in excess of 20,000 requests a year from individuals and
>Give me a call sometime and we can discuss further questions you may have.
>Perhaps we should do a joint effort and have a block of four with hosta and
>daylilies pictured.
>I will include my research findings for you below.
>Take care,

Hi Jack  (and Kevin W.):

 I will respond immediately before your e-mail changes. First thank you
very much for your reply and the daunting numbers you have researched. I
have read what you sent a couple of times and I think you have mentioned
something critical that might set the hook to get our respective plants on
a stamp.

I am looking at a sheet of stamps called PACIFIC CORAL REEF. It's perhaps
6x9". It's a single "painting" of a portion of a coral reef. It has only 10
stamps on the sheet. They are located in various spots on the sheet. Each
stamp offers a close-up of a fish, shell, or piece of coral. Much of the
"painting" is not turned into stamps but is filled with meaningful
representations  of undersea life.

Imagine if you will : THE AMERICAN FLOWER GARDEN. A garden scene could be
easily designed to highlight the top 10 perennials (which certainly
includes hostas and daylilies). We could contact 8 other group of perennial
obsessives to be included in this garden. With 10 groups asking, pestering,
beseeching, begging,(but coordinated) imagine the number of letters we
might muster, or the number of people that might be represented in such a
stamp garden. Surely the heads of these other plant societies would want to

A single plant is clearly an unlikely candidate...but THE AMERICAN FLOWER
GARDEN????? How could they resist such a campaign. Or at least it might be
a hoot to try. Although it is clear that the art work becomes their choice
, it might be possible to have a process where various societies asked their
members which daylily, which hosta....etc.It could be a good run.  I am
sending a copy of this to Kevin Walek who is president of our Hosta

I am ignorant of other plant societies but research is pretty easy. I
expect that personal contacts might be best. Let me know what you think and
perhaps we can make a start before spring happens...if this is indeed a
viable idea. I warn you though I have no respect for annuals! :-)
regards, glen w.
 Hosta Folk:

If any of you are in other flower /plant  societies and have contact
information let me know. Or if you have any ideas on such a project give a
yell. It's still winter here in Vermont and I am willing to tilt at
windmills before spring begins.Irrational exuberance is always a harbinger
of spring.   glen

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it rhymes.""Even a lie is a psychic
fact." -Carl Jung, psychiatrist (1875-1961)

Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
Tel: 802-885-2839