Re: Hormones

Robins,

I must back up a bit and explain that my discussion with Bill was about
the possibilities of using some substances on the roots of tiny
propagules coming out of tissue culture in Canada. I attempted to
explain that the use of indolebutyric acid or any other similar
synthetic hormone would inhibit growth of existing roots, not encourage
their more rapid growth.

The part of the discussion you read touched on the importance of the
inter-relations of the top of the plant and the bottom of the
plant...that they are interdependent. I don't believe anyone
knowledgable in plant physiology would disagree with that premise. The
point I was trying to make was that all factors which may become
limiting  could affect growth of roots. And Barbara is right,  magic
potions can not eliminate the need to address limiting factors
determining growth.

Since Plant Hormones seem to be a subject of interest, I wish to advise
that a short discussion paper which I wrote on this subject in Oct 1997
is still in my computer. If anyone wishes me to send it, I could do so.
It is somewhat technical but was written to try to cover the role of the
natural hormones affecting the numerous physiological phenomena observed
in plants in general. The generalizations apply to the Genus Hosta also,
in my opinion. It's old stuff and several subscribers may have already
seen it.Should I send it a second time? It comes in two parts.

Jim Hawes