Re: Robin Advertising Policy

Daniel Nelson wrote:
> Hi Joanne,
> I though I would stay out of this subject for a while. I liked your post.
> I want to avoid having the appearance of reacting to postings on the AHS
> robin. The talk of advertisers having a list of do's and don'ts list of
> rules is an interesting development. It leaves the door wide open for
> hosta-open to allow business people an alternative listserve to talk about
> their wares. These business people have more knowledge and a deeper interest
Jaonne, Dan & Clyde
And All
One of the reasons that this came up is a question by me to Carolyn.  I
posed the scenerio, which did seem to be rapidly devloping , that is, if
every one started to post a list of things for sale, there would be no
end in sight.  This started of course with the posting from Ben.Z.  I
asked the question about "policy" as an "open" question, and said that
my name could be used, as I do not like the secrecy surrounding these
things.  I agree with Dan and Joanne, that , here only reason needs to
prevail.  I have been hearing a good deal of discussion about this, but
not much from the people actually involved, the growers.  It would be
easy for any of us to use multiple postings , and put our list here.
Some could list four hundred or more plants.  Is that really what
everyone wants?  long lists of thousnads of plants posted by many
growers.  This , I believe would be a real problem.  I am all for anyone
mentioning plants they like and sources and prices.  I think is it fine
for a grower to post a few special items she or he may have.  I will not
be posting my list here, unless it becomes common place.  I really hope
that does not start.
Ran Lydell
Eagle Bay Hosta Gardens
19749 Bennett Rd
Dunkirk NY  (Where our Catologs will start going in the mail in about
two days!)