Re: Hosta Growth

jopyz@earthlink.net writes:

<< I thought this year I'd probably try treating any potted ones the same
 as the bareroot I receive.Into a bucket of water with a little Miracle Grow
 overnight and hope they look better. >>

IMO it would be better to shake off (get rid of) most of the pot medium. Soak
it then if you wish. Being in one medium and then planted into another
completly different medium is a shock. Roots may tend to go in circles, and
thus slow recovery. I am a firm believer in soaking in a fertilizer solution
before planting. It works for me.
Another method would be to cut longitudinaly the rootball in 4 places (as in
N,E,S,W) and then soak if you do not want to break ball. This will keep roots
from going in circles also.

Barbara Jones