Re: Hosta Growth

BBROWNJ@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/4/99 8:55:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> jopyz@earthlink.net writes:
>
> << I thought this year I'd probably try treating any potted ones the same
>  as the bareroot I receive.Into a bucket of water with a little Miracle Grow
****************
> Another method would be to cut longitudinaly the rootball in 4 places (as in
> N,E,S,W) and then soak if you do not want to break ball. This will keep roots
> from going in circles also.
>
> Barbara Jones
>*****************
Barbara & Joanne
Always good to see your posts, because you are always so perceptive, and
logical.

As pointed out, the plant can not "establish" untill it "strikes" roots
in the soil where it is to grow.  When you recieve a plant that has an
"impressive " root system in a container, It seems hard to fault that.
Those roots, in the main, however, are incapable of functioning in most
soils.  A "new" and , if you were to compare, different root "structure"
must devlope, in order for the plant to grow in actual soil.
Ran Lydell
Eagle Bay Gardens
Dunkirk,  NY  14048