Re: Dormancy

Title: Re: Dormancy

Paul,

A few more questions on your "stem cutting" technique: When you have a hosta clump with, say, 10 eyes, how many of them do you cut and how many do you leave? If I understand the concept the reason you cut the "stems" off above the basal plate is that you leave all of the roots intact so that the main plant can recover versus cutting all the way through and including a bit of root with each division as we normally divide hostas. How does the main plant look the following year? I imagine with all of the roots still intact, it comes back quite strong. Can this process be repeated year after year with the same main plant or does it require a rest or recovery period. One final question, do you cut the eyes at random or only the outside ones or only the inside ones?

Thanks!

Norm Lesch
Manchester, MD

In a message dated 2/3/99 10:12:17 PM Central Standard Time, Jpbluerib@aol.com