hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
 Navigation
Articles
Gallery of Plants
Blog
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Patents
Mailing Lists
    FAQ
    Netiquette
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
Links
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

Unauthorized use of a plant doesn't invalidate it's patent

RSS story archive

Re: Hosta Growth


Chick wrote:
> 
> All right! Finally a subject with a bunch of messages I disagree
> with.  Things were getting boring.
> 
>  I have a hard time accepting that the roots
> on container grown plants "in the main, however, are incapable of
> functioning in most soils."  Come on Ran.  That's akin to me stating
> flatly that bare root plants arrive all shriveled and dried up and are
> so stressed that it takes them so long to recover that they seldom
> bloom the first year and everybody knows that if a hosta doesn't bloom
> it won't multiply. (Now there's a sentence that my high school English
> teacher would have loved).  And you know I'd never say anything to
> disparage bare root plants like that. 
************
Chick And all
I was growing Hostas in pots, for planting out, in the late fifties, and
have been doing so ever since.  There is a difference , however between
roots that have devloped in "artificial" soil mix, and the root systems
of field grown Hostas. This can be observed by simply taking two plants
that are growing in pots in the same condtions, and planting one out.,
while leaving the other in the pot.  Take good care of both, and dig up
the "soil grown" plant four weeks later.  I hope some of you will try
this in the spring.. You will see what I mean.  No disparagement of
potted hostas was intended.  After all I grow thousands in pots myself.
We do , however use a mix that is a humus and soil combination.  To
those of you who do not know ,there is a "raging" and ongoing debate
between "field" growers, and "pot" growers, as to which is the better
system and what differences there are in long term results.  I don't
think any has really won in this debate---I (as usual) spend a lot of my
time "straddling the fence" (always painfull) and will say that Chick
has some good points
Ran ( smiling)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@mallorn.com with the
message text UNSUBSCRIBE HOSTA-OPEN





 © 1995-2015 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement
Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index