Re:Pot vs, Field Grown Seedlings

Dear FHO:

   For two years now ( and only about 100 plants) I have been transplanting
single seedlings (at least 4 leaves ) to Styrofoam cups with the bottoms
removed. They are placed in a combination of regular dirt and  pro-mix
(from an all pro-mix medium).This is done in February. I grow them on under
24 hour lights until May/June. Then I put them cup and all into the ground
and grow them this way until the next year when the are dug, the cup slid
off, and replanted  in a sunny location (the plant not the cup). I SEEM to
have gotten better growth from  slower growing plants this way. I stress
the word  SEEM  for I have not done a serious comparison study yet.  Fast
growing seedlings  I plant directly in the ground in June..no cup.For the
cup planted hosta I generally find a wonderful root mass. I do loosen this
mass and poke and prod it some before I replant.  The name is on the cup
and this helps me a lot with labeling too. I started by doing this because
I was lazy and I thought I might be protecting the slower growers  this
way. Have no objections to disparaging remarks  and criticism about the
process, because  if anyone feels this approach is wrong-headed I would
appreciate knowing the why. Don't want to spread  poor hosta methods.

Glen Williams Zone 5a   Springield , Vermont.
"...and I am unanimous in that."