Re: Hosta Growth

Beth Arnold wrote:
> Unless the plant is very root bound, banging the root ball on
> something hard will generally loosen the soil so that the roots can be
> separated.  .>>>>>There is some anecdotal evidence that messing with
> hosta roots
> Well now, come spring I can fill you in on an experience I had this
> past summer/fall.  A local nursery was selling potted plants at 60%
> off their price.  T I really don't expect
> this plant to live but I can tell you I will look in the future at
> those bargins more closely.  I have done similar things to root bound
> plants but this was like nothing I have ever seen before.
> Beth Arnold
> Peoria Illinois  Zone 5
> ************
Besides being in the pot to long, this kind of thing, usually results
from two processes.  First the high fertlizer regime used to "force"
grow Hostas by some growers.  and Second, a very light "porus" growing
medium.(din't misunderstand, any pot medium must have reasonable
drainage  )These are "shortcuts" to achieving the "look" of a well
growen plant and will frequently result in problems.  While I do grow
many Hostas in pots, thay are in a soil based mediom, and are fed with a
long term "timed release" fertlizer.  I also transplant , the previous
season, every Hosta that I expect to sell in a pot.  Good plants can be
grown in pots---unfortunatly, they are frequently not.  Good plants
certanily can be growen in the field----sometimes field grown plants are
not so good ether.  As you have suggested, the key to spending wisly ,
is to learn what to look for.