Re: Hosta Growth

I have no complaints about field grown plants.  They are fine.  Container
grown plants can be better.  The root system is stronger and the small feeding
roots do not have to be broken in the process of transplanting.  Here
container plants grow faster and develop into strong healthy specimens in less
time than field grown plants.

Now go back to where I said the plant can be better.  As in everything else
there are circumstances that can and do affect the finished product.  A lot of
this depends on the time and care given by the grower.  I fully agree with the
post that said beware of the grower that sticks a plug into a container and
offers it for sale.  There should be laws against that type of thing.  All
plants should be grown and evaluated by the grower.  If this was done by all
growers then buyers would no longer be concerned about buying TC plants.

TC can produce some great things and some that is of no use.  Over a period of
years I have isolated and grown some TC plants that are far superior to the
original plant.  An example is that I am now growing for the fourth year a TC
of  Frosted Jade that has a wonderfully wide white edge.  That is also the way
I got Venus.  Over the same period of time I have discarded many TC plants of
different varieties that were poorly or improperly marked.

I am so convinced that container grown plants are great that, I pot every
plant which I buy.  It grows in the container until a good root system
develops.  Then the potting
soil is shaken off and the plant is placed in the garden.

Mary

<A HREF="http://www.hostasonline.com/l/lakeside/index.html">LAKESIDE HOSTAS
</A>