Re: Hosta Growth

LakesideRM@aol.com wrote:

> I have no complaints about field grown plants.  They are fine.  Container
> grown plants can be better.  The root system is stronger and the small feeding
> roots do not have to be broken in the process of transplanting.  Here
> container plants grow faster and develop into strong healthy specimens in less
> time than field grown plants.

I think the main lesson here is that no matter what your 30 years of gardening has
taught you, there is somebody else around who has been gardening 30 years and
disagrees with everything you say.  My guess is, and it is strictly a guess, is
that both bare-root and container grown plants will do fine if well grown,
properly handled and planted with reasonable care.  I prefer pot grown, Ran likes
bare-root, both of us have grown them both ways for a long time, so until someone
can figure out how to do a test with all other factors being equal, I suspect that
none of us are going to convert. Frankly, I doubt that we would believe the test
results anyway unless they came down on our side.

As to the comments concerning roots that won't function in soil because they were
grown in a soilless mix, or that they won't establish as well, I simply don't
understand why it would be true.  I admit that I have heard it over and over, but
that doesn't mean I believe it.  Now, I agree that if you don't dig a decent hole,
don't loosen the roots, don't improve the soil, in other words, if you dig a hole
big enough to stuff the root ball in, then the roots will probably continue to
spiral within the soil the plant was grown in and will not root out into the
surrounding soil.  The thing is, that's the planter's fault, not the plant's.  If
you know how to plant a hosta, as presumably we all do here, I don't see why this
is an issue.  Secondly, when you get past the roots that came with the plant, the
new roots that grow into the surrounding soil are produced under the conditions
that exist in the garden.  I see no reason why having been grown in a potting mix
should have any effect on the roots that are produced by the plant after it has
been planted in the ground.  I'm not a plant scientist, but it seems to me that if
anything, if the roots that came with the plant are not functioning well, the
plant would compensate by growing more new roots into the surrounding soil rather
than less. Can anyone (Jim for instance) give me the science?  Without an
explanation, its just an anecdote.  The defense rests - for the moment.