Re: Hosta Growth

Alan & Vicky Cahanes wrote:

> We just take them out of the containers and when
> they are really root bound I take a serrated knife and just hack off
> half of the root system  ... I should not be doing this right?
>
> Last year is the first time I have ordered hostas from mail order
> which was from
> Bridgewood Gardens.  They came in pots and I could not believe the
> size of them
> and they were not root bound but had a very nice root system and they
> all put on
> very nice growth last summer.  Can't wait to see them come up this
> year. I will for sure order from this nursery again.

Well said!

As to the root system, sometimes cutting it apart is all you can do.
Plants that have been grown too long in a pot will spiral the root ball
to the point where it would take forever to get it untangled.  In these
cases, there is no alternative to getting out the knife.  Before you cut
though, beat the root ball on something to try to dislodge as much of
the soil as possible, sometimes the roots are easier to loosen if the
soil is removed.  If that fails, chop away, its probably better than
planting as is.

Chick
www.bridgewoodgardens.com