Re: Hosta Growth

> As to the comments concerning roots that won't function in soil because they were
> grown in a soilless mix, or that they won't establish as well, I simply don't
> understand why it would be true.  I admit that I have heard it over and over, but
> that doesn't mean I believe it.  Now, I agree that if you don't dig a decent hole,
> don't loosen the roots, don't improve the soil, in other words, if you dig a hole
> big enough to stuff the root ball in, then the roots will probably continue to
> spiral within the soil the plant was grown in and will not root out into the
> surrounding soil.  The thing is, that's the planter's fault, not the plant's.  If
> you know how to plant a hosta, as presumably we all do here, I don't see why this
> is an issue.  Secondly, when you get past the roots that came with the plant, the
> new roots that grow into the surrounding soil are produced under the conditions
> that exist in the garden.  I see no reason why having been grown in a potting mix
> should have any effect on the roots that are produced by the plant after it has
> been planted in the ground.  I'm not a plant scientist, but it seems to me that if
> anything, if the roots that came with the plant are not functioning well, the
> plant would compensate by growing more new roots into the surrounding soil rather
> than less. Can anyone (Jim for instance) give me the science?  Without an
> explanation, its just an anecdote.  The defense rests - for the moment.
>
> Chick
> www.bridgewoodgardens.com

I agree with you Chick. My concerns being a buyer more than a grower and seller is
this. When I buy bareroot, I am hoping to get a division of a more mature plant.
Something with leaf size close to maturity. This holds with larger varieties such as
Green Sheen and Flower Power. I believe my new divisions in the following year will
be stronger and larger as base plant is.

When  puchasing potted plants, I look for health, pot size, value for money--- then I
start counting to see which  pot has the most eyes. Bareroot sellers will give one,
two, three if your lucky. This is not so with potted plants. My Blue Cadet and Ginko
Craig looked like small clumps when planted. With bareroot, I always have to wait for
it to grow into something great. Potted plants just seem to get me there quicker.

Maybe I'm fortunate enough to have a really great nurseryman in my area, who is proud
of the fact that he generally give the "biggest bang for the buck". To bad I now have
almost everything he sells!!!

Ray W z5
Mentor, Ohio