Re: Hormones

HoroRL@aol.com wrote:

> Good morning, Jim:
>

> I have a different question: has any work or studies been performed, to your
> knowledge, on hosta and vitamins.  It's been said that Dennis Savory used
> vitamins and 'Golden Tiara' came about.
>
> Hostally,
>
> Rich
> ------------------

Rich and others,

I am not privy to what Bob, not Dennis Savory used or what exactly is
the reason for the morphogenesis of Golden Tiara. Your question suggests
that vitamins may have been responsible somehow. I don't know. However,
a group of vitamins are used in tc culture media because there are
several which seem to be required at the molecular level to fulfill
certain physiological functions. For example....

Inositol, one of the vitamin B complex is needed for cell membranes

Thiamine, vitamin B which serves as a coenzyme to assist in respiration

Nicotinic Acid, niacin involved in light energy reactions

Pyridoxine, Vitamin B6 involved in metabolic chemical reactions

Pantothenic Acid, another Vitamin B involved in fat metabolism

Folic Acid found in cells of green tissues

Cholin, an alkaloid of the Vitamin B complex

Riboflavin, Vitamin B2

All these are used in various tc culture media formulations. Which ones
Bob used ( if he did) is anyone's guess.

Jim