Re: Hormones

HoroRL@aol.com wrote:

> Jim:
>
> In the rossing process or bud isolation process, would it be wise to soak the
> hosta in a cytokinin, e.g., BA, BAP, or NAA, to encourage a "better" bud
> formation?
>
> Hostally,
>
> Rich Horowitz
> Stoughton MA
> Rich,

While everyone else is so concerned about "worms" carrying viruses, we
can talk about cytokinins, OK?

The synthetic cytokinins used in tc (or for other uses) in order of
their effectiveness are reported to be:

TDZ> BA or BAP > 2iP > Kinetin > Zeatin. IAA is not a cytokinin but an
auxin.

It is possible that there is "some" effects in use of cytokinins in
stimulating MORE bud sprouting but I doubt that this is identical to
"better" bud formation...to use your terms.Use of cytokinins is a very
complex subject being researched currently and continually by molecular
biologists and I AM NOT ONE. I do lurk mostly  on the plant tc lineserve
of the Univ. Minn. I am learning more and more on this fascinating
subject and I don't know all the answers you ask. I urge anyone
interested to join and learn along with me.

The influence of soaking isolated buds or rossizing rhizomes is not
known. There was an article in a recent Journal giving some data on use
of BAP in lanolin on sprouting of hosta cultivars. I was not too
impressed that it was anything revolutionary or significantly better
than other know methods.

 The plant's natural response to cutting rhizome tissue appears to me to
be to readjust its levels of natural cytokinins and auxins within the
rhizome tissue so that there is a balance of these two hormones to allow
normal growth to occur the next growing season. One should remember that
high auxin concentrations INHIBITS growth of buds and high
concentrations of cytokinins PROMOTES growth of buds( with all other
factors being optimum or constant). Thus the balance (or ratio) between
cytokinins and auxins is so very important in normal meristem growth.
This is  one of the basic principles involved in development of the best
protocols and techniques  of successful tc micropropagation.

Jim Hawes