Re: Hosta Growth

In a message dated 2/6/99 3:22:25 PM Eastern Standard Time, RonnieEA@aol.com

<<  I was looking more for how to PLANT the hosta,  >>

Hello Ronnie:

My way of planting a Hosta is to get a pail of compost ( i have a big pile).
Dig the hole twice as big as original ball or pot. Mix compost with soil from
hole. Like to mix in mulch chips if available too. I knock off most of soil.
Don't feel it necessary to wash unless it is caked next to crown. I might soak
a potted plant in liquid fertilizer, but usually will water plant well with
solution after it is planted.I fill hole with water before planting so soil
area is moist. I try and have crown at ground level or just below. Water well,
especially the first year.
Have to admit I don't always do it this way, but feel plant does better with
the extra attention. If I don't have compost handy I will use promix and bark
All feel free to comment.

Barbara Jones