Re: Hosta Growth

Barbara's advice is consistent with studies at the Universities of Florida
& Oklahoma where they found the fancy holes some people make cause plants
to become root bound in the ground. The plant grows to the edge of the new
hole then spirals just like in a pot. The worse thing you can use is peat
based mixes like pro-mix or growing media designed for pot growing.
Those who have used this type of media with apparent success will take me
to task because with intensive care the plants appear to do well. If you
want relatively care free landscape then plant directly into the native
soil and amend with organic material on the surface. It is particularly bad
with plants that will ultimately have a wide ranging root system such as
trees.

>Hello Ronnie:
>
>My way of planting a Hosta is to get a pail of compost ( i have a big pile).
>Dig the hole twice as big as original ball or pot. Mix compost with soil from
>hole. Like to mix in mulch chips if available too. I knock off most of soil.
>Don't feel it necessary to wash unless it is caked next to crown. I might
soak
>a potted plant in liquid fertilizer, but usually will water plant well with
>solution after it is planted.I fill hole with water before planting so soil
>area is moist. I try and have crown at ground level or just below. Water
well,
>especially the first year.
>Have to admit I don't always do it this way, but feel plant does better with
>the extra attention. If I don't have compost handy I will use promix and bark
>chips.
>All feel free to comment.
>
>Barbara Jones
>Mass