Re: Hosta Growth

Rick I didn't want to believe these results so I tried to disprove them,
found I could not. The fancy holes are a waste of time and money.
Both of the studies (OK in clay soil and FL in sandy soil) concluded that
the plants will root out into to the soil sooner if you save your back and
money digging the $10.00 hole for the $1.00 plant. That is not to say that
amending the soil isn't worthwhile but other resent work says it only works
to add the amendments on the surface.
The worms have come to feed on the organic matter provided and will come if
the organic matter is added to the surface.

At 10:18 PM 2/7/99 EST, HoroRL@aol.com wrote:
>I have not seen any difference in growth rate and the roots grow into the
>surrounding soil without any problems.  The only difference I've seen is that
>there are more earth worms in my mix.

Butch Ragland So. Indiana zone 5