Re: Hosta Growth

In a message dated 2/7/99 9:22:04 PM Central Standard Time, HoroRL@aol.com

 I have not seen any difference in growth rate and the roots grow into the
 surrounding soil without any problems.  The only difference I've seen is that
 there are more earth worms in my mix.
to tell you the truth some of my best looking Hosta clumps are in my least
modified soils- What I see is the trick- as has been said before- if you water
and fertilize then you are doing your plants a lot more good than mixing in a
lot of other materials. since this discussion started with hormones this might
be a good place to interject that the limiting factors for good growth of
plants in the ground always tend to be nutritional and eviromental. So the use
of hormones and vitamins do not have as much of an effect as a good program of
watering and fertilizing.
You will find that optimal growth is reached when a steady program of
fertilizing and watering is implemented.

Best Hosta clumps that I have seen have been the products of water, nutreints
and time.