Re: The Plagiarism Issue (meaning Delete if you prefer)

Joanne wrote on Feb 8, 1999:

"Several days ago I received a complaint from Ben Zonneveld regarding a
comment in a post by Jim Hawes accusing Ben of plagiarism"...This is not
completely accurate but I will make it accurate just for the record.

Ben Zonneveld made a complaint to Joanne about a comment I made in my
post re the Winter Scientific Meeting. I had described in this post that
the issue of advertising by Ben Zonneveld of  his "plagiarized literary
works" on the AHS Robin appeared to condon or even ENCOURAGE plagiarism
and that this reflected negatively on the AHS. I requested the AHS to do
something about it, such as not allow this to occur. I was promised by
the "Decisionmakers" that my difficult question would be addressed by
the AHS Officer's Panel  Discussion at the Meeting. Since it was
omitted, I raised it publically as having been omitted in my six page
report. (I had previously and ALREADY  charged Ben Zonneveld of
plagiarism in a Formal Complaint to the AHS  Board of Directors in
October 1998. I announced this publically to the AHS Robin when it
occurred. No action has yet been taken.) When Ben read my six page
report he discovered that the issue of advertisment of "plagiarized
literary works" was mentioned. He wrote a post to Joanne and Dan,
Majordomos of hosta-open,  complaining that they should not "allow" such
comments to be made. He characterized such use "slanderous". Since
interprete this as Ben calling me a liar. To prove that I am not, I
intend to tell my account of this sordid affair with meticulous detail.
It will be like a story. It may be boring and of no interest to some
subscribers. To others it will enlightening and perhaps even as
entertaining as an afternoon  soap opera.

The story will be backed up by documentary evidence contained in two
loose leaf notebooks, consisting mostly of e-mail posts written over a
period of almost two years. I will copy portions of these post to prove
the points I am trying to make. I invite others to make comments about
what I write at about the same time that I write them. You may wish to
question the accuracy, the motivation and/or the necessity of making
known some of this information. I will try to do no harm in trying to
tell the story in a truthful manner. If harm occurs, it is harm imposed
upon one's self, including myself and any others that may have been
involved because of their own choice. It is time for the full truth to
be told. I take full responsibility for the accuracy of the statements
that I will make in this open forum. Readers may lurk, write, argue,
disagree or ignore to their hearts content. My motivation is very
simple...I want the truth to be known and have this conflict overwith
finally.I will write the first installment of this story and post it
later today.

Jim Hawes