Re: roots

Well, first of all you haven't said anything that shatters my "old
beliefs".  Secondly, I don't grow plants in water so I don't see what
that proves.  Thirdly, if your example of cutting the roots off of cacti
has any relevance to the issue, that would mean that we may as well cut
the roots off pot grown hostas when we plant them because the existing
roots have no value.  Is that what you do? and if so, how are your plants

I am not saying that plants do not go through some shock when they are
taken from one medium to another, but what I am convinced of is that it
is not a significant problem, certainly not in the nature of going from
water to soil.  You mention that plants "often get a serious drawback"
when transplanting, but under your usless roots therory, it would seem to
me that there would be no way to avoid a "serious drawback".  Over the
years we have sold literally millions of container grown plants, not just
hostas, but over that period of time, a range of perennials numbering in
the thousands, without the slightest indication from our customers that
there is a problem.  Obviously we have the occasional report of a plant
that didn't make it, but I would suspect that if your theory was valid,
this would be commonplace rather than the rare exception, as we suspect
that the failures are as likely due to poor care as to defective plants.
Unfortunately, my only scientific evidence for my theory is that "it
simply don't happen that way."   Again, its anecdotal, but I don't see
that your theory holds up in the real world.