Re: roots

zonneveld wrote:

> I was suggested that roots dont a dapt to the soil were they grow in
> I ask you to try to place watergrown roots in soil They just die in
> most cases. That is why tc labs have troubles to get plants from
> agar to soil. In Holland commercial grown cacti after a year of grow
> in seedling flats are cut of from their roots completely before
> transplanting in new soil Are they stupid ?. Often plants "get a
> seroius drawback" when transplanting Why? because it cannot adapt to
> the new soil. Often first the old roots must have dissppaerd Of
> course in many cases the roots CAN adapt. We are discussing here the
> cases where they dont. Happy to see the friendly way people react to
> new information As usual some people object to information as it
> shatters their old beliefs
> Ben J.M.Zonneveld
> Clusius lab pobox 9505
> 2300 RA Leiden
> The Netherlands
> Zonneveld@RULbim.LeidenUniv.NL
Ben
In this I completly agree with what you are saying.  New root systems
(especially in Hostas) must devlope in a new soil"type".  The more
different , in texture  and content, the new soil is from the media the
the plant was originally grown in, the more extensive will be the "need"
for this redevlopment.  For that reason,  most nurserymen try to buy
field grown stock from areas where the soil matches that of the place
where the plant will be installed.  That is why we use a soil based ,
mix for growing potted Hostas.