zonneveld@rulbim.leidenuniv.nl writes:

<< That is why TC labs have troubles to get plants from
 agar to soil. In Holland commercial grown cacti after a year of grow
 in seedling flats are cut of from their roots completely before
 transplanting in new soil Are they stupid  >>

Yes, tissue cultured plants have a difficult time acclimating to the "real"
world when they are first removed from culture-But the reason for this is that
in culture plants do not have to "work" to live. Leaves have fewer and many
times nonfunctioning stomata, the cuticle is not developed and roots do not
have to function well to draw water and nutrients into the plant.
But a plant in the 'real' world does not suffer the same problems in the
degree that a tissue cultured plantlet (Hosta though are not too hard to
remove from culture)
In my experience Hosta roots are not impacted that negatively by being moved
from one soil to another, many times I have to move a Hosta three of for time
a year.  I get a bare root plant in the fall, it goes into a hole with a clay
muck soil, in mid to late spring the plant is moved to a pot with a mixture of
soil and peat/perlite.  Them put into a bed with black organic soil/clay/sand.
Then after some time they again are planted into a pot.  I have never noticed
a set back in root production or function do to different soils. I still
believe that if your plants have good roots to start with they will do well in
any good soil.

I do know that roots will die or become less functional on rhizomes that have
been cut with a knife and on plants that are dug in the fall and stored over
the winter in cold storage.

You are right that roots grown in water or in environments that are water
logged. The cell walls and dermis of the roots change do to the different
properties water has in relation the gaseous exchange and ion exchange. These
roots have thicker formed surfaces and do not produce root hairs in any real

I do not believe the comment about Cactus really has any bearing, Here in
Minnesota we only have three species of Cactus, but I think that you would
agree with me that these plants develop a deep tap root as their first and
primary root.  So when sown into a flat the root would be very long and bent
out of shape and very hard to get into a pot.

One problem I see developing on this list is the polarizing of sides which
leads to rude behavior and stubborn insistence that "I am right and ANY thing
you say is wrong" This type of behavior leads one to make exaggerated claims
and over reaching conclusions.
I do not know any one on this list in person or by name and I do not have any
interest in one side or the other, but I am concerned that those that are just
starting out in there gardening adventure might get the wrong idea that Hosta
or for that matter all plants are hard to grow right. This is not true but
those that are "experts" I suppose have to prove they are experts by showing
every one else the "right" way to do things. Well, I am not impressed and I
hope others are not overwhelmed and throw up there hands saying" I will never
get it right" those that make a hard and exacting practice of growing their
Hosta and say "this is the way to do it and it's the only right way" are
making a statement more about their egos than about growing Hosta.  I am happy
to share what works for me and just as happy to find out what works for every
one else. One thing that I have noticed is that plants -- as dynamic living
organisms -- do not respond the same way to the same conditions in different

Zone 4
were winter has surrendered to spring a little early.