Re: roots

In a message dated 2/9/99 11:20:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
chick@bridgewoodgardens.com writes:

<< Obviously we have the occasional report of a plant
 that didn't make it, but I would suspect that if your theory was valid,
 this would be commonplace rather than the rare exception, as we suspect
 that the failures are as likely due to poor care as to defective plants. >>

To provide additional fuel, how can any nursery offer guarantees on stock from
perennials to shrubs if plants do not have the ability to acclimate?  How many
people who go to the corner nursery are Master Gardeners? Very few I am sure!
How many of my neighbors just dig a hole in the local clay (and we are talking
some serious clay!) and just shove in the root ball, back fill, don't water,
etc.?  I can safely say probably 90% of them!  All living things have the
ability to adapt to their surroundings (within reason!)  Just as human beings
can adapt to survive in Alaska or Africa, so can plants adapt to survive in
varying soil conditions. Shock and set-back may occur, but eventually (as
noted in a previous posts by others) the majority of plants will produce the
roots necessary to survive in the soil conditions in which they are planted.
Extremes may destroy some, but not all, and I personally, out of pure
ignorance to the ideal, have tortured many of my perennials until I found the
"best" spot for them, or read up on that plants specific requirements.....I
can also say that regardless of the hell I have inflicted, they put up with my
learning curve, are healthy & happy, and come back to bloom, & multiply every

Everything in moderation, let Nature do the rest.

Lori Johnson
Clay Capital (Buff., NY)