Re: home tissue culture

IMHO, there are several experts on the robin and hopefully they will
    John Lanier
    Jim Hawes
    C H Falstead
    and hopefully I have not left others out, but these are the ones I
know are on the robin

I also got a lot of help from "Kitchen Culture Kits, Inc"  (sorry I do
not have the web site address but Carol Stiff's e-mail is
"kck@turbonet.com".  She sells a manual and chemicals which are primarily
aimed at high schools and uses African violets as the plant tissue - so,
make sure you tell her it is for hosta. - for about $60.  But, as I found
out the hard way, there is a whole lot more to it than what she tells
you.  Last fall I attempted, with ultimate failure in the number of
plants ready to put outside, but lots of success in learning!  I'll leave
the technical stuff to these folks listed above, but would love to share
with you my own "trip," perhaps off-line.  I will be starting up tc this
Friday night and Sat morning for three cultivars.  The "secret" of doing
this at home with minimum equipment (no laminar flow hood) is a chemical
PPM which controls contaminants.  You can get this chemical from Kitchen
Culture Kits.  I had great luck in that department this past fall - NO
contamination.  However, I used meristems from plants going into, not
just coming out of, dormancy.

Charles Tuttle
Columbus  OH

"Optima probatio testatio;                      "Challenge is the best
test of man;
authentica mensura resultatus."                 Results are the best

TC is a "test" which I have not yet mastered!