Re: Plagiarism Story Part VII

After a rather comprehensive analysis, my conclusions of the Cultivar
Group example of plagiarism follows:

Ben's claim that he did not plagiarize is based largely on his statement
that in August 1996 he saw the new Journal with the JH Hosta Wheels. At
that same time he showed Olson his notebook. He claims this as proof of
simultaneous creation of doing the same thing but in a different way.

Olson states in an e-mail post of October 12, 1998:

"Ben Zonneveld is entirely correct. When he came to Minnesota he showed
me his data. He had collected it independently and organized it in a bit
different way. The data was accurate and therefore similar to that of
others. He is an honorable man".

My view of Olson's statement in support of Ben, that he collected data
independently, says nothing to the question "did he copy and use it
improperly?" The fact that it was  organized in a different way does not
excuse one who plagiarizes (see definition from Temple University). The
fact that it was accurate and that data was similar could mean that he
copied it WELL. That Ben is an honorable man has now come into question
because he plagiarized and then lied about it, presumably to hide his
misdeeds. My assessment is OF COURSE PLAGIARISM OCCURRED. But it was
covered over, ignored, denied and refuted in many ways by many people.

Specific, new data which included 25 Groups of Related Sports was made
available to all when the Journal 27.1 was published. Data on four other
Groups was amde available from the Clans article nine months previously
in Journal 26.2. Ben could have copied all of this data from
publications to a notebook in a day's time surely. He claimed he copied
NONE if my data. If there is proof that he copied ANY of it, then he
probably lied about copying parts of it that was new and useful for his

I have definite  proof that he copied and used two cultivar within the
Tiara Group, Lime Tiara and Streaked Tiara. These were known ONLY by me
and one other person who told me about his Streaked Tiara. Ben also made
a mistake in failing to point out that Lime Tiara is a sport of Emerald

Ben has Plagiarized. He has lied about not plagiarizing. His act of
publishing as he did shows by his own presentation of cultivar names
within groups that he plagiarized.

If readers do not believe my words  go to the Golden tiara Wheels in
Journal 26.2, page 83. and compare it to Ben's Golden Tiara Cultivar
Group  in Journal 28.1, page 40. You are looking at proof of plagiarism.
Why? Because Lime Tiara and Streaked Tiara have never been described
before in any other publication than Journal 26.2

I could go through the same process and prove that Alex Summers' Golden
Nugget sports had never been mentioned before either individually or
collectively as a group, until they were mentioned simultaneously in two
articles by Alex and in the Clans article by me in Journal 26.2 (see
pages 38,39 and 85) and six months later in Journal 27.1 , page 89. A
year later (in Journal 28.1, page 40) they became the "property" of Ben
Zonneveld through an act of plagiarism when he "proposed" them as his
new Cultivar Group. These words are there in his article. Look them up
and you will discover this for yourself.

In a later part of this story, I plan to give several other specific
examples of plagiarism as found in his phamphlet called "Book of

Stay tuned.

Jim Hawes