Re: Plagiarism Story X...Final Installment because Enough Is Enough, Righ Irwin?

  • To: hosta-open@mallorn.com
  • Subject: Re: Plagiarism Story X...Final Installment because Enough Is Enough, Righ Irwin?
  • From: Jim Hawes <hawesj@gcnet.net>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 15:29:40 -0500

I suppose you have heard about Merlin (the magician), sport of H. White
Magic (Aden)...which costs 100 dollars if you really want it. If you
don't, it still costs 100 dollars. Glen Williams has it as do I. His
sported. So did mine at about the same time. Strange how this happens.
It's like they all get together and anthropomorphically decide to
simultaneously sport. Anyway it happened something like that in Vermont
and Maryland. I made a few notes about all of this in my
notebook...which I am thinking of sending to Olson to prove that I am an
honorable man too. My notes say:

1.Glen Williams sent me the name...  H. Merlin(Williams), sport of H.
White Magic (Aden),  to place on a Hosta Wheel.

2. I had a sport of White Magic too. Glen's sport had precedence over
mine...its his! I assumed my sport was identical to Glen's sport, so I
put on the label Merlin(Williams).

3.I placed the green and white streaked sport H. Merlin in the center of
the Hosta Wheel. It was "published" informally, so to speak, in the
Handout for the talk I gave at the Winter Scientific Meeting in Jan.
1998.(Ben got a copy, remember?)

4.In August 1998 someone in the Robin inquired about H. Merlin.

5.Glen Williams informed the inquiror that it is a yellow and white
streaked sport of White Magic(Aden_)

6.Ben informs Robins that in his Book he finds it listed as green with
white streaks but that he will change it to yellow with white streaks.

7. Tom (Wheel Chairman) informs that he does not know the plant.

8.Hawes requests all to change the name of the green and white streaked
form to H. Houdini and keep Glen's original name H. Merlin for the
yellow and white form.

Are you getting all this, Ben?

If there is any lingering doubt about all of this, then read the
following post from Ben, written at the approximate date when he was
very busy writing his Book............

zonneveld@rulbim.leidenuniv.nl wrote:  Subject:sport systems
Date: Feb 16, 1998

> Tom Clyde Bill and others
> I was afraid that again it would be more about persons then about
> systems  So I agree it was stupid from me to start again It was just I was
> frustated  seeing all  those date before me and I simply could
> not use them.  I dont wanted to attack anybody I was just asking for
> help with efforts in the interpretation of the wheels.
> .I am maybe one of the few that really tried hard to extract
> data from the wheels , it is nearly impossible  Moreove note that in those with
> the larger number of  sports the arrows are missing
> Also in several he draws a cirkle smaller then the standard one around them .
> So the interpretation aslo strongly depends on the size of the wheel,
> absent in most cases.
> The Benedict cross is nice and simple to use with 5 to choose from.
> The last wheel of JH contains 16 colors to choose from including
> a yellow margin at 4 h and a yellow margin at 7h  Please try to take
> any wheel and without any knowledge of the plant to find out the
> color of the sports
> Take a simple example
> Obsession
> Sparkling Burgundy
> With an arrow between them pointing up
> It could be anything like
> from streaked to chartreuse;
> from dark green to green;
> from cream centre to white centre
>  from yellow  to yellow centre etc
> Even knowing that Sparkling Burgundy is green does not helps very
> much as green is already the top of the wheel
> So I have for now in my system Obsession gr?
> And the same is true for most other dat I extracted I dont like
> question marks so I just asked for help not attacks on any person
>  I would love to use some of the data as a few  are missing from
>  my system ,but it simply does not work
> I dont advocate my system, actually I have now two systems, but any system is good
> as long as the data are comprehensible by any other.
> So please lets discuss systems not persons and please supply data
> instead of attacks
> Ben J.M.Zonneveld
> Clusius lab pobox 9505
> 2300 RA Leiden