RE: Plagiarism Story Part IX

Robins,

I am sure there are those readers who question my motives in writing
about this onerous subject. Some have expressed that I am not objective,
I view things from one side only, that I am prejudiced and unfair, that
I have a personal vendetta against Ben.....Wrong, especially on this
last characterization. I don't know Ben personally. He must be very
capable to have obtained a Ph D degree in Genetics, obtained a position
on the Staff as Associate Professor at Leiden University, and whatever
else he may be involved in. I have no quarrel with such work skills and
capabilities in academia. That is my origin also and I appreciate what
one must do to exist in this competitive environment....one of which is
to publish scientific work so that you are demonstratng your
capabilities as a scientist.

My concern is that his demonstrated habits of plagiaristic theft of
ideas, concepts, previosly published groups of sports through his
publishing efforts and like activites IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. He denied that
he has done such things and I am proving that his denial is untrue. It
is that simple. We disagree on the facts regarding the truth of the
issue.

I continue with my presentation of the true facts.

I was so outraged at the discover of plagiarism in his Book of Sports,
involving my own sports and new special, relatively unknown new plants
of friends that I decided enough is enough. I decided to complain
officailly to the AHS. I wanted this simply to stop. I wrote a
comprehensive set of documents making my charge. I sent also a list of
events as they occurred chronologically. I gave examples to prove my
case. I supplied proof of my charges in the form of e-mail posts with
Ben's own words, as I have done in this story. I was promised by
President Jim Wilkins that my Formal Complaint would be reviewed by the
Board. I was content that finally thing would be examined and that
wrongs may be righted.

About six weeks later I received a telephone call from Jim W. He
informed me that there was not much the Board could do. I gave up. My
attempt to go through channels was a waste of time. That is why I have
decided to tell this story to the world. If the world is not interested
in the truth, then at least I tried to make the truth known.

So now I am involved in my story. To make it as interesting as I can,
let me tell you about the Applegate Affair. Sometime in October 1998 a
few posts about Plagiarism were being discussed on AHS Robin by Clyde
and Ran. Ben was denying that he plagiarized to Ran and Dan...Olson came
on in a post as a character witness explaining that he had indeed seen
Ben's notebook, that Ben was an honorable man. I posted suggesting that
Olson stop his supportive oratory on the steps of the courthouse and let
the AHS Board of Directors be uninfluenced in its deliberations in
reviewing the case of Plagiarism I had recently submitted. At that
point, Majordomo in Buffalo  announced a new Directive...no more
discussion about Plagiarism...period. Dwagarden came on after this
Directive and suggested we shut up talking about
Plagiarism. I wrote a private post to Donna and told her the Applegate
story. It went something like this......

   "Donna...My post is the first one I have ever posted on this subject
and mine was before the warning.

I ...will not discuss Bill's problems about Filegate, Travelgate,
Whitewatergate, Paulagate, Monicagate, and Chinagate. Do you know about
Applegate? Let me tell you about it.

Alex Summers gave me a small plant of a white centered sport of
H.'Geisha'. He got it from Pat Scolnick's tc lab. It was named H. 'Apple
Court' in honor of Diana Grenfell's Nursery. While hurriedly making a
label, I mistakenly wrote Applegate. I repeated this mistake soon after
when I was preparing the Hosta Wheel for H.'Geisha' and its related
sports. I put it in the Handout I prepared for my talk at the Winter
Scientific Meeting in late January 1998...Ben was there and got a
copy...so this information went into his Book of Sports. Someone gave me
a copy of Ben's Book two weeks ago. There it was...my mistake,
"Applegate(Summers), without citation of the source of information.
There were scores of other examples in his book but this one was the
funniest.There he copywites it so that no one steals his information and
uses it without his permission. Funny Hosta story, right???"

More to come later.
Sincerely,
Jim