Frost Heaved Hostas

I spent all day in the garden today moving crabapple trees, a couple of azaleas,
a willow oak and a flowering cherry. My first daffodils are just starting to
flower (zone 7). It was a brisk day with the temperature in the high 30's with
lots of wind.

While checking my hosta beds for vole activity I notices some hostas that had
parts of their root system showing. It's looks like frost heave or maybe it's
the result of winter rain washing some of the soil away from the crown. These
crowns looked healthy despite being exposed. I covered these crowns with
additional soil. This has happened is past years also. I am never sure if I have
planted my hostas to shallow or if they are rising in the soil. It's only seems
to happen to a few per year.

I considered digging these hostas and re-planting them deeper but it seemed a
lot easier just to put more soil over the top. I wonder what others do in this
situation?

Usually I try to plant hostas so that the top of the crown is 1 inch below the
soil grade. Sometimes I think I go a little shallow when I plant a plant that is
in full leaf.

Is there anyone out there with an opinion as to the correct planting depth for
hostas in the soil?

How deep should a hosta be planted in a container?

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7
SussexTreeInc@ce.net